Next steps: new public toilet location
We thank all residents who participated in our engagement and provided comments.
Based on this feedback we will be installing a public toilet in a new location within Jacobs Reserve.
The need for a public toilet within the Reserve is clear, however we heard residents’ concerns about the proposed locations.
- The new toilet will be located in the northwest corner of the park, north of tram stop 38.
- To reduce the impact on community privacy the doors of the new facility will face south down Melville Rd.
- The new public toilet will be open from 6am to 6pm, 7 days a week.
- The construction of the semi-automated accessible toilet will be completed by December 2022.
Phase 1 Community consultation - What you told us:
There were 3 key points we noted from locals during our engagement, which are:
1. Some residents felt there was no need for a public toilet
Residents immediately surrounding the park did not see a need for a public toilet in Jacobs Reserve due to the park being very small. Some other concerns raised were privacy and the security concern of the residents.
2. A new public toilet was welcomed by older residents and young families
The proposal for a public toilet was welcomed by the elderly residents and the young families with children who attend the park very regularly. A public toilet will provide much-needed ease for these residents, so they do not need to rush back home for emergencies. A public toilet will also help service a variety of community members who also use the park, nearby shops and public transport.
3. Concerns around the 3 proposed locations
Residents voiced their concerns about the proposed locations suggested by Council. The key concern was privacy concerns to the immediate residents and security concerns.