The Brunswick Cycling Club has successfully received a Recreation Design Grant for the planning and design of a Pump Track within the infield of the Brunswick Velodrome on Harrison Street.
What is a pump track?
A pump track is a hotspot for all riders seeking a fun and action-filled sports experience. The best asphalted tracks are both playground and training facilities for bikers, skateboarders or scooter riders at any skill level. Riders enjoy practicing the basic skills of carrying momentum, balance and speed by using their arms and legs to pump their bike/board/scooter around the track.
About the Brunswick Pump Track
The Brunswick Velodrome Pump Track project proposes a world-class design and will provide an attraction for many groups that use the Velodrome as their training and community base. The proposed layout of the Pump Track will provide a challenge for all skill levels and is divided into 3 zones. The Pump Track will encourage younger riders to enjoy the same environment as the more experienced riders.
What we've heard so far
During mid to late 2021 and early 2022, Brunswick Cycling Club undertook a program of community consultation which included:
- Gathering public inputs to draft designs displayed on the Club's social media pages
- An open public forum was held in the clubrooms to discuss the designs
- Letterbox-drop to local residents seeking input and feedback
- Email correspondence to local schools, Moreland BUG and Friends-of-Merri Creek seeking feedback
- Engagement with other users of the Harrison Street facility including DirtyDeeds and Melburn Durt, and
- Consultation with Merri-Bek council representatives across a range of departments.
The Master Plan design document and requirements have been modified following the community feedback, including in the areas of:
- technical track design (eg. an additional track 'cross-over' and a modified gate/access point to help mitigate safety risks); and
- supporting infrastructure (eg. additional sun shade protection, greater signage, and modification as required to the existing CCTV facility to ensure coverage of all areas of the facility post-completion).
For more detailed information about each zone please click through to the view more section, there is an opportunity to leave feedback on each zone.
How you can get involved
We want to hear your thoughts on the proposed design of the pump track. There are 2 ways you can get involved:
- Fill out the survey to let us know what you think of the overall proposal
- Scroll down to see the design broken up into zones. Each page has an activity where you can leave a comment about the zone.
You are welcome to participate in any number of activities. You might also be interested in reading through the Brunswick Velodrome Masterplan Presentation.